Is Higher Education Worth the Price?

 Mahquella Jones

Is Higher Education Worth the Price ?


As someone who once experienced coming out of high school and actually debating with myself whether higher education is worth the price, this topic is incredibly interesting to me. This topic is not only interesting to me but I am completely sure that millions of young adults question this as they are entering or are already attending college. With universities constantly raising the price of tuition, it is making it harder for students to not only attend college, but to graduate from college without having to leave and come back. After viewing all the materials provided in class and discussing with my group, I have come to the conclusion that higher education is worth the price but it is also not worth the price.

There are a lot of contributing factors as to why I believe higher education is worth the price, so let me start by stating a few. I believe that it is not hard to find a school that is in your price range because I have done it before. I knew leaving high school that my parents would not be able to put out a ton of money when it comes to my schooling, so I had to find a university that I would be able to help them pay for and that will give me the necessary grants. People who really want higher education will find a way to pay for their schooling whether that be through loans, grants or programs at the University, like David from the documentary “Is Higher Education Worth the Cost?- Ivory Tower”. David is a young man, at the beginning of the documentary that goes to Harvard and is enrolled in “full need” financial aid allowing him to attend the university for free.

There are also a lot of contributing factors as to why I believe higher education is not worth the price, at the same time.  In the article, “Are Colleges Worth the Price of Admission?” Hacker and Dreifus states that , “For most Americans, educating their offspring will be the largest financial outlay, after their home mortgage, they’ll ever make.” This is a very crazy thing to think about because why should education cost this much? Don’t colleges need students to make up the school? And don’t jobs need people to work for them? So universities need to look into what they are doing, if school costs too much, people won’t go and they won’t have enough people to fulfill jobs. It cost so much for the basic life necessities, for no real reason other than greed.

In my opinion, I can’t decide if higher education is worth the price or if it is not because I found what worked for me, which was an affordable University that I know I would be able to pay for and attend but I know a lot of people who can’t do that. A lot of people aren’t offered the financial aid they need or grants so they won’t have to stress the balance of school and work. Higher education must be something that becomes more accessible to students, when it comes to the cost. Higher education is worth the price because of all the beneficial things that can come from it, but not worth going broke over.

Report: Too Much Freedom Hurts College Graduation Rates | Data Mine | US  News

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are we products of our environment & my mentor

Are we products of our environment or products of our expectations?

Is Pop Culture Good For Me?